Subject: Re: IS AMOS Pro CRAP ?
From: "Andrew Church" <[email-masked]>
To: "amos-list" <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Sep 93 21:48:00 EST

>Now this is what happend: I was doin a wonderfull GUI together with a
>friend. It was just great with all that clicking and popup menu stuff you can
>ever imagine. We worked about 20 hours to finish it but we can't because a
>very strange problem appeared. The code looked like following:

[code and complaints deleted]

  Well, my recommendation is to get the AMOS Pro 1.12 update.  This fixes a
bunch of bugs in 1.0, and this might be one of those bugs.  I recall having a
similar problem which the update fixed...

>So, at the end i say, that i'll probably change to Blitz Basic. And if this
>won't work either i'll try C again (I hate C).

  Well, you can have whatever opinions you like, but I love C.  (Not to the
exclusion of AMOS, obviously. :-) )  I once wrote a role-playing game in AMOS
(about 300K); I'm translating it to C now, and it runs more smoothly, not to
mention being more system-friendly.  There is always the work factor, though;
the C version now contains over 10000 lines, whereas the AMOS version had only
about 4000.

>(btw. did you notice that the Locate x,y command destroys part of the screen ?)

  Actually, it doesn't.  That's just the movement of the cursor.  When AMOS Pro
displays the cursor, it saves the 8x8 block immediately underneath the cursor.
When you do a Locate (or Curs Off), it displays that block where the cursor
used to be.  If you've drawn over the cursor area, what you've drawn will be
replaced with the saved block.  This has always seemed like a lack-of-common-
sense problem to me:  If you're not using the cursor, turn it off; if you are,
don't draw over it!

  --Andy Church